Spiralized Mexican Sweet Potato and Chicken Casserole
If you’re looking for new recipes to make using your spiralizer, this one’s for you! This Mexican inspired casserole is made with spiralized sweet potatoes, shredded chicken, black beans and corn in a delicious guajillo pepper sauce topped with melted Pepper Jack cheese – SO good, and the portions are very generous!
I’ve been experimenting with my Paderno Spiralizer, last week I spiralized broccoli stems with turned out awesome in this Spiralized Beef and Broccoli dish. This week I decided to spiralize a sweet potato. Normally I simply roast them, but my friend and I brainstormed thinking about what else to do with it and came up with this dish.
The sauce is AMAZING, a recipe she got from her Mexican friend made from dried guajillo peppers which are very mild in heat. If you want this spicy, you could add some chipotle en adobo to the sauce as well. If you cant find dried guajillo chili peppers, I suggest using 2 to 3 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce in it’s place although it will be spicier.
The quickest way to make this is using leftover chicken. I usually have shredded chicken on hand that I make in the slow cooker, you can boil it 10 minutes on the stove as mentioned in the recipe below.
SPIRALIZED MEXICAN SWEET POTATO AND CHICKEN CASSEROLE
This Mexican inspired casserole is made with spiralized sweet potatoes, shredded chicken, black beans and corn in a delicious guajillo pepper sauce topped with melted Pepper Jack cheese – SO good, and the portions are very generous!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (or 12 oz shredded cooked chicken)
- 2 sweet potatoes 12 oz total, spiralized and cut into 6-inch lengths
- 4 medium vine tomatoes
- 4 dried guajillo chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion (quartered)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded chopped scallions for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spiralize the sweet potatoes with the smallest noodle blade and place them in a 9 x 13 oval casserole dish.
- If you’re cooking the chicken, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot and add chicken breast, cook 10 minutes. Remove from water, set aside to cool and shred the chicken. Place in a large bowl.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add guajillo peppers, cover and simmer on medium until the peppers are soft, 10 to 20 minutes depending on the pepper.
- Remove peppers and let cool, cut the stem and and remove the seeds and the inside of peppers. Transfer to a blender.
- Add 4 tomatoes to the same boiling water and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, peel the skin and transfer to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the garlic and onion, saute until browned. Transfer to the blender with the sauce along with cumin, salt, and pepper and blend well.
- Pour the mixture into the large bowl with the shredded chicken, black beans and corn. Mix to combine, then pour over the spiralized sweet potatoes, making sure the sauce mixes well and gets in between the spirals.
- Top with cheese, cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Top with scallions and serve.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 5
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 335 calories
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Sodium: 447mg
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 26g