Slow-Cooker Pork Sliders
Slide these comforting Cuban sliders into your lunch box! This recipe uses lean pork shoulder simmered in a sweet, citrus broth made from fresh orange and lime. Serve the meat along with one whole-grain slider bun, a slice of Swiss cheese and some pickles for a complete meal.
Slow-Cooker Cuban Sliders
For the pork shoulder
- 11/2 tablespoons cumin
- 11/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (3.5 pounds or 1,590 grams) pork shoulder, trimmed of as much fat as possible
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 medium (110 grams) white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (70 grams) lime, juiced
- 2 medium (140 grams each) oranges, juiced (about 1 cup juice)
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) water
For the sliders
- 8 whole-grain slider rolls (about 70 calories per roll)
- 8 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 16 pickle slices
Prepare the rub by putting cumin, oregano and salt into a small bowl. Toss with a fork to combine.
Sprinkle rub over the pork shoulder, and use your fingers to massage the rub into the pork shoulder.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Put cooking oil into the skillet, and allow it to heat. Add the pork shoulder to the skillet and sear until it is brown all over, about 7–10 minutes.
Put the pork shoulder into the slow cooker first. Then add the garlic, onion, lime juice, orange juice and water. Cook pork shoulder on low for 6–8 hours, until meat completely falls apart.
Take the pork shoulder out of the slow cooker, and shred the meat with a pair of tongs or two forks. Add as much juice from the slow cooker as needed to your shredded pork to keep it moist and juicy.
Split the slider buns and toast them. Spread each bun with 1 tablespoon mustard, and top with a slice of Swiss cheese and 2 pickle slices. Sprinkle salt to taste, and serve.
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 1 slider (1 cup shredded meat + 1 roll + 1 teaspoon mustard + 2 pickles)
Per serving: Calories: 415; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 133mg; Sodium: 890mg; Carbohydrate: 21g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 43g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 867mg; Iron: 33%; Vitamin A: 6%; Vitamin C: 42%; Calcium: 15%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Add 1 slice of Swiss cheese for more calories and flavor. (Per serving: Calories: 517; Fat: 25g; Carbohydrate: 23g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 51g)
- Serve with a side salad (1 cup salad greens plus 1 tablespoon vinaigrette) for more calories, fiber, vitamins and minerals. (Per serving: Calories: 483; Fat: 22g; Carbohydrate: 28g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 44g)