Slow Cooker Pork Roast | Recipe
Char siu, a sweet and savory Chinese barbecue, cooks up extra tender and juicy in this cooking Light recipe. Now you don’t have to order Chinese take-out because this recipe is all the more healthier. For a complete meal, serve with sticky or long-grain white rice and a steamed or stir-fried medley of bell peppers, carrots, snow pears, sliced baby corn and water chestnuts.
Slow Cooker Pork Roast
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lower-sodium Soy Sauce (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Hoisin Sauce (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) Ketchup (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) Honey
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) minced Garlic
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) grated peeled fresh Ginger
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dark Sesame Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) Five-Spice Powder
- 1 (2-pound) boneless Pork Shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) fat-free, lower-sodium Chicken Broth (certified gluten-free if necessary)
Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Place in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add pork to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
Place pork and marinade in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove pork from slow cooker using a slotted spoon; place on a cutting board or work surface. Cover with aluminum foil; keep warm.
Add broth to sauce in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens. Shred pork with 2 forks; serve with sauce.
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 3 ounces pork + 1/4 cup sauce
Per serving: Calories: 227; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 92mg; Sodium: 390mg; Carbohydrate: 11g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugar: 10g; Protein 31g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 13mg; Iron: 1%; Vitamin A: 1%; Vitamin C: 1%; Calcium: 1%