“Loaded” Potato Soup
Turn a childhood favorite, the fully loaded baked potato, into a hearty, warm bowl of soup — all fixings included. Fiber-rich cauliflower makes the soup more filling with less calories. And with both bacon and broccoli, this creamy soup is nutritious and packed with flavor. The potato peels are left on for added nutrition and less prep.
“Loaded” Potato Soup
- 3 slices (25 grams) lean center-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 medium (55 grams) onion, chopped
- 3/4 pound (640 grams) Yukon Gold or 2 large (740 grams) red potatoes, diced
- 1/2 medium (1 pound or 295 grams) head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 4 cups (960 grams) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces or 110 grams) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) finely chopped broccoli florets
Cook bacon in oil a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
Heat drippings over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes, cauliflower, broth and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15–20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, steam or microwave broccoli 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.
Process soup using an immersion blender, or transfer to a blender in batches until smooth Stir in 1/2 cup cheddar.
Divide soup into 4 bowls, and top each with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 2 tablespoons cheddar, 2 tablespoons broccoli and 1 tablespoon cooked bacon.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups soup + 1 tablespoon sour cream + 2 tablespoons cheese + 2 heaping tablespoons broccoli florets + 1 tablespoon bacon
Per serving: Calories: 231; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 30mg; Sodium: 469mg; Carbohydrate: 23g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 12g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 812mg; Iron: 6%; Vitamin A: 16%; Vitamin C: 100%; Calcium: 25%