8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup chicken mixture, 1/2 cup rice, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro)
This classic Indian dish is so simple and bursting with flavor. This spicy crock pot recipe is perfect for any weeknight dinner. Leftovers are definitely the best next-day lunch. If you prefer milder foods, reduce or omit the crushed red pepper. Throw in some coconut, cashews, or mushrooms for an even more unique flavor. Add a quick and easy basket of warm garlicky naan on the side of this beloved chicken recipe.
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion (1 onion)
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled baking potato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 4 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
How to Make ItStep 1
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan; place in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add ginger and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); sauté 2 minutes. Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker. Stir in potato and next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon stick).Step 2
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Discard bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Turn slow cooker off; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in yogurt. Serve chicken mixture over rice. Sprinkle with cilantro.
MyRecipes is working with Let’s Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA’s MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates.