11 Super Health Benefits in Just One Celery Stalk
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Spinach is Popeye’s favorite energy boosting food. Broccoli is the small tree of life and so on. We have heard about all the catch phrases and the health benefits of these popular healthy foods, but have you heard that a stalk of celery can give you 11 health benefits! Yes, 11 health benefits for one simple stalk. It turns out it’s not that simple. Celery is high in nutrients and vitamins that have great benefits to the body.
Here is 11 reasons to start munching on a celery stalk:
1) Celery can be used as an anti-inflammatory in the body. For people who suffer from lung infections, joint pains, acne, asthma or any other diseases caused by inflammation can munch on a celery to reduce the symptoms.
2) A go to diet snack, this yummy veggie is just 10 calories! A great substitute for your high calorie junk food. You can add celery to your salads, soups, stir-fries or sandwich spreads for added texture and crunch.
3) Celery can balance your alkaline level. It is great for people who suffer from hyper acidity or gastritis.
4) Celery is a known stress reliever. It can soothe the nervous system and give you a peaceful and quiet sleep. To experience the best stress relief properties of celery, eat it as an evening snack.
5) Celery contains high amounts of water and is rich in fiber. This makes it a great aid of relieving constipation. It is also good for detoxifying the body and a regular bowel movement. People who suffer from diarrhea should avoid eating celery.
6) Celery lowers blood pressure. It can increase the circulation of the blood in the body. It is highly suggested to eat celery when suffering from high blood pressure.
7) Bye to bad cholesterol! Celery has butylphthalide that is used to reduce bad cholesterol. People who ate 2 stalks of celery have decreased their bad cholesterol levels by 7!
8) Sodium can be bad for the body, but celery contains the good kind of sodium. This good sodium is essential to the body and brain function.
9) Cancer prevention- Celery contains powerful flavonoids known to stop or prevent cancer cell growth. Celery is an effective prevention for pancreatic and breast cancer.
10) Contain high amounts of vitamin A. Vitamin A is needed for eyesight and eye health.
11) Celery as an aphrodisiac. Celery contains androstenol and androstenone, these increase arousal in both men and women. When chewing celery you release these pheromones in the body.
- When choosing celery pick ones that are upright and snaps when bent.
- Choose celery that is darker in color, because they contain more nutrients.
- Opt for freshly chopped celery than store bought chopped ones. It retains more health benefits.
- The leaves should not be soggy or limp
- The best way to eat celery is steamed.